3.08.2009

30 Rock: "Goodbye, My Friend"

Never would I have guessed that Harry and The Hendersons would be such an invaluable source of life lessons. But alas... 30 Rock proved me wrong on that.

"Fine, Lithgow! I'll do the right thing! GOD!" -- Liz Lemon

"Goodbye, My Friend" was funny... enough. There were certainly a number of laugh-out-loud moments (as referenced above), but something was missing. I guess I just thought that it could have been... bigger? More ridiculous? Something...

I enjoyed the Jack/Frank dynamic -- I especially enjoyed Patti "Francis Rossitano canNOT become a lawyer!" LuPone! -- but after the glorious Jack/Tracy/"Dyn-o-mite!" spectacle that was "Rosemary's Baby", I just feel that for any attempted male relationship of Jack's to succeed, it has to be SO far gone, SO off-the-wall, that the audience has no choice but to pee their pants. I just... wanted more.

And for the Liz/Becca storyline to truly succeed, Liz would have had to become a full-blown crazy before finding her redemption via John Lithgow. Unfortunately, we all know that Liz ultimately has a heart of gold. So, while she may go cocoa for cuckoo poops at times, she's not a complete monster... and she really never could be. The storyline worked. It was entertaining. But it was also predictable.

I was, however, thoroughly amused that Becca called Liz "cool". Heh. Poor girl. If she only knew...

My one area of certainty in this episode was Jenna. I realized that I don't much like her. Especially when she featured so heavily. She's only tolerable in little bursts, because she's a cardboard cut-out of who she has the potential to be. And until she grows some dimensions and reaches that potential, she's grating and obnoxious. All of this is very unfortunate, too, because Jane Krakowski is so much better than Jenna gives her the freedom to be. Meh. At least the Jenna/Tracy/Kenneth maniacal laughing bit was funny.

Thoughts?

0 crushes:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP