3.12.2009

Castle: "Flowers for Your Grave"

Castle is a show with potential. It has the entertaining premise, the quippiness ("Oooh, bondage! My safe word is apples." -- Rick Castle), the tight pacing, the two very pretty leads, and at least a couple of quirky secondary characters (Oh, Susan Sullivan, how we've missed you!).

It's just not quite there yet.

Homicide cases are homicide cases, and on a procedural show, the inevitable outcome is the resolution to the murder mystery. That's standard. And if their pacing and editing keep up, it will be tense as well. But the set-up -- a reluctant no-nonsense detective forced to be shadowed by a charming know-it-all crime author -- should allow for some intriguing friction and animosity between Castle (the charismatic Nathan Fillion) and Detective Kate Beckett (Stana Katic). And there will certainly be a fair share of sexual tension too.

For most of the episode, I was unsure of the chemistry between Fillion and Katic. I thought it was fairly lacking for two-thirds of the episode. And then she whispered in his ear. Suddenly, the TV screen went electric and I saw lasting promise.

The potential is there. Now they just need to capitalize on it. I'm not going to hold my breath, but happily, I do have hope.

Thoughts?

2 crushes:

Krisnreine Mar 12, 2009, 2:52:00 PM  

Totally agreed, especially the "whispering in his ear" part. I totally went O_o . I've got it set to be DVR'd, although it's was almost trying to hard. Like the premise, like the cast (Trufax, Stana Katic is Eve Dallas)...so hopefully it will live up to its potential.

Cory Martin Mar 12, 2009, 11:30:00 PM  

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It's one of the rare new shows that I *want* to succeed.

Nice to see you here, Princess! ;-)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP